- Pregnancy and childbirth are natural events. The midwife supports and preserves the normalcy of childbearing, guarding against unnecessary and potentially
- Childbearing is a significant family event. Individuals and families have a right to a safe and satisfying experience within their own cultural forms,
including family centered care.
- Education is the cornerstone of health care. Access to information enables people to make informed health care decisions.
- Parents have the right to informed choice. Midwives provide support or and encourage choices regarding the birth attendant and birth setting safest and
most satisfying for the family.
- Midwifery is an Art and a Science. We support individualized care within the “Guidelines of Practice” developed by the NTM, and encourage peer review and
- Holistic care is optimum during childbearing. Midwives should strive to meet the varied physical, emotional, spiritual, sexual and cultural
aspects of each person they